WEEK ST MARY CHURCH IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS!!
For people who remain well and wish to use the church whilst observing social distancing, the church will be kept clean, and the following facilities will be provided:
Week St Mary Church will remain open in daylight hours as usual. Tea and Coffee making facilities will be left as usual and lights will be left on as usual with a signpost to additional lighting if required.
Church Members who are well, will pray in the church on the Sundays that Father David is not available (10.30am).
A bell will be rung at this time so that people may join in at home. There will be a prayer station within the church which will be changed weekly to assist with Private Prayer. There will be a children's activity which will also be changed each week.
We will be starting a Book Exchange which will be cleaned and maintained by church members (details to follow). Telephone numbers of the Rector and Trained Pastoral workers will be published for people in need of spiritual support or who are lonely during isolation. The churchyard is open for exercise and recreation (please respect graves and anyone visiting them).
The Adventure Church Garden at the rear is available for anyone to cultivate and care for should they wish to as the weather improves and the wormery and bug hotel are there for you to look at and add to.
We welcome everyone to use the church and trust that it will be used sensitively and with respect, especially for those who undertake to look after it.
There is a donations wall box to the left of the front door and people who cannot give as they would usually during church services are encouraged to make their gifts online to the following bank account.
NAT WEST BANK: Week St Mary PCC
Sort Code: 53-50-52 Account No: 04109171
It is important to note that during this difficult time, when income will be greatly reduced for a variety of reasons, this church and the Diocese of which it is a part, still has significant ongoing expenses for wages, electricity, oil, insurance and maintenance. Any help that is given will be very gratefully received.
With best wishes from Lesley Booker & Linda Cobbledick (Churchwardens)
Some may say a landmark for the area as it can be seen for many miles and I am sure many of you look for the tower in the distance driving back towards the Village. We are only custodians of this Grade 1 Listed building during our lifetime and responsible for its upkeep. During last year’s Quinquennial Report (every five years) by a surveyor on the structure and condition of the building it was highlighted that the ENTIRE CHURCH ROOF will need REPLACING within 5 to 8 years.
This is obviously a VERY costly job to undertake and quite daunting for the PCC to find the money. In order to comply with our Church Insurance, we have to show that preparations are under way to finance the repairs. The PCC decided at their meeting in September to kick start the ROOF FUND and have set up a RESTRICTED FUND namely for the ROOF with £10,000 which we had from a legacy.
We will be looking at our options regarding grant funding and hopefully donations to pay for this very big and expensive job which will run into many hundreds of thousands of £s.
Every £1 counts and if anyone has any ideas to help us on this mammoth project, we would be delighted to hear from you as we will have to do some match funding at the very least.
Any suggestions or enquiries please contact: Linda Cobbledick (PCC Secretary & Churchwarden) - email: email@example.com
The parish church is dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin. It comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The north arcade has five four-centred arches, with monolith granite pillars; the south arcade also has five arches, three of which are obtuse pointed, and two obtuse four-centred. The pillars are of Polyphant stone and granite.
The entrances are a south porch and a priest's door; the north door is not used. The tower is of granite ashlar; it has three stages and is 99 feet in height, including its pinnacles.
The church, built in 1643, contains six bells which were hung in 1731, and is finished with battlements and crocketed pinnacles which terminate with crosses.
The bells were re-hung and repaired in 1887 when the tower was also renovated at a cost of £168. See below for details of the bells.
Week St. Mary church is a clean and well-cared for example of a village church, with church services, musical events and the annual craft display adding to the regular use. The village has many visitors and the church is always visited and praised for its beauty and cleanliness.
THE RING OF SIX BELLS IN THIS TOWER WAS RECAST AND REHUNG IN 1950 BY GILLETT & JOHNSTON, CROYDON
- "F#" MEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON GIVEN BY COSMO NEVILL PEAKE IN MEMORY OF KING EDWARD VII R et I 1910 • Weight: 4cwt 1qtr 2lbs
- "E" AST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS, LONDON PEACE AND GOOD NEIGHBOURHOOD RECAST 1887 • Weight: 4cwt 2qtr 23lbs
- "D" PROSPERITY TO THIS PARISH A R 1731 • Weight: 5cwt 1qtr 5lbs
- "C#" PROSPERITY TO THE CHVRCH OF ENGLAND 1731 • Weight: 5cwt 3qtr 2lbs
- "B" ABR RVDHAL OF GLOCESTER CAST VS ALL 1731 • Weight: 6cwt 2qtr 18lbs
- "A" I TO THE CHURCH THE LIVING CALL AND TO THE GRAVE DO SUMMON ALL RECAST 1887 · J. D. PEAKE - RECTOR · T. WALKEY - CHURCHWARDEN · B. HUTCHINGS - CHURCHWARDEN
1950 saw the operation of rehanging the bells take place under the control of Revd N.A.F. Townend, MA and Churchwardens J.H. Rogers & T. Rogers.
Mrs Lesley Booker - Tel: 01288 341221 • Mrs Linda Cobbledick - Tel: 01288 341468
Parochial Church Council Secretary
Mrs Linda Cobbledick, Wyke House, Week St. Mary, Holsworthy, Devon EX22 6XA
Dioscesan Child Protection Representative
Sue Dickenson, Ranelagh, Week St. Mary, Holsworthy, Devon EX22 6XF
50º 45'03.84N 4º 30'01.39W OS: SX 237977 Elevation: 142m
© All of the content of the Week St. Mary website is the copyright of David Martin & Linda Cobbledick except where stated