St. Piran's Flag   Week St. Mary Village Community Web Site St. Piran's Flag 
www.weekstmaryvillage.co.uk     HOME PAGE
HOME
Google Site Search
SEARCH
Site Map
SITE MAP
 
Back to Thumbnails

BACK
 

The Old Orchard Inn

The Old Orchard Inn

Week St. Mary, Holsworthy, Devon EX22 6UN

 
Tel: 01288 341646 after 5pm
or Mob: 07887 614141

Email:  theoldorchardinn@hotmail.com
The Old Orchard Inn

 
View the
Old Orchard Inn
on
Facebook

LIVE!

The "Village Pub", formally called The Green Inn, has re-opened!

Jason & Annabelle would like to give a warm welcome to all.

We now have garden furniture and a newly laid lawn where dogs and diners are welcome.

 There's a great line up of local Ales:
Tribute, Doom Bar, Cornwall's Pride and a guest beer and we are introducing Thatchers Gold.


     
  NOW OPEN
FOR FOOD
Good Food is coming Good Honest
Pub Food
Takeaway & Sunday Roasts
 
  Wednesdays through to Sundays from 6pm to 9pm  
  A Take-Away Menu is available  


 
Please see the Home Page Calendar for further notices of future events
     

For Information please contact Jason on 07887 614141
or the Pub on 01288 341646

The History of 'the pub'...

In the 1940s this 18th century property was called 'The Beeches' due to the surrounding trees and was a small-holding along with a couple of fields just outside the village.
When the evacuation of children from London commenced for real during June 1940, teacher Mr P.H.S. Martin arrived at Bude railway station from Croydon on June 16th 1940. The long journey ended about 7 p.m. when several hundred tired children and teachers detrained at the station and were shepherded into Cann Medland's Garage (Bude) where a real Cornish meal was provided and the children were medically examined. Mr Martin recalls walking down the line of buses parked at the side and reading the names of the destinations. North Cornwall was unknown to him then, but it struck him that Week St. Mary was an attractive sounding name, and gave instructions for his party to be loaded as far as possible for this place.

Somewhere about 8.30pm Mr. Len Maddock drove the bus up to the school where Mrs Sandercock, and her willing band of W.V.S., helpers set about distributing the children around the parish.

Initially, the children were taught in the Methodist Sunday School Room but were soon to join the local schoolchildren in the County Primary School. Mr and Mrs Martin lodged at Lambley Park for several months until the following April when the headmaster Mr Sincock, resigned and Mr Martin was instructed to take over. Mr & Mrs Martin and their three children then took up residence in 'The Beeches'.

The evacuees finally returned to their London homes in July 1945 but Mr Martin and his family stayed in the village - their new home. When Mr Martin died suddenly in 1953 the property was sold. Despite a lot of opposition from some locals Mr Trengrove was finally granted a full liquor licence on February 17th 1956 for the new pub, called 'The Green Inn'.

The Green Inn, despite changing hands several times, has remained open all the time until 2011 - but now, November 2013, the 'village pub' has a new name, a new look and
a new landlord!

 
© All of the content of the Week St. Mary website is the copyright of David Martin & Linda Cobbledick except where stated 2006-2016